In this article:
Learn about the data security practices that support Poll Everywhere for Microsoft Teams.
What data is collected
The Poll Everywhere for Microsoft Teams app collects the same data that Poll Everywhere on the web collects, in terms of required collection for processing activity data. When presenters sign into their Poll Everywhere accounts, we validate that account information so that activities and responses can be created and tied to a Poll Everywhere user account.
When a Microsoft Teams participant responds to an activity, their response is captured and sent back to Poll Everywhere for storage, so the presenter can view their responses using our reporting and visualization tools.
The integration with Microsoft Teams provides us with the following specific properties, which we use to make the integration work:
- ID: A Microsoft user ID, which is uniquely identifiable within the Microsoft Teams instance. We collect this so that we can respond back to a user via direct message in response to some actions.
- AAD Object ID: A persistent ID that we use to associate a given Poll Everywhere account with a given Microsoft Teams account.
- Conversation ID: A unique ID that enables us to provide contextual responses back in response to actions performed in the Teams integration.
Microsoft Teams also provides the following properties by default:
- Name: e.g., “Jane Doe”
- Conversation name: e.g., “Board meeting prep”
- Platform: e.g., “mac”
- Country & Timezone: e.g., “US & America/Edmonton”
- Other miscellaneous metadata about given messages
Poll Everywhere does not store these default properties. When Poll Everywhere servers process the data, they do not read these attributes and do not store the data. Unfortunately, Microsoft Teams does not offer a mechanism to opt out of being sent these additional properties. Therefore, we discard unexpected and unrequested properties when they’re sent to us.
How data is processed and stored
Poll Everywhere has a SOC II Type 2 confirmation of audit opinion that attests to our security program meeting the criteria in the 2017 AICPA Trust Services Controls.
All data is securely stored on Amazon AWS cloud servers exclusively in the United States.
Learn more about our security practices by visiting polleverywhere.com/security. You can also refer to our Cloud Security Alliance Star CAIQ.