In this article:
Poll Everywhere is a web-based product that works anywhere in the world where there is an internet connection; however, certain features like text message responses, need additional configuration to work in an audience's locale.
Note: Any regional numbers will display with an area code (for example, "+32" showing as the area code). Only participants in that region can use the corresponding local number.
Each audience member’s ability to respond via SMS text message depends on a few factors: their carrier, their text messaging plan, and the coverage provided through Poll Everywhere's international SMS service partners.
To choose the text message number that will display on your activity's response instructions, open your Profile page, then select "International text messaging" from the menu on the left. Select the number you wish to use for your activities, then save your settings by clicking the "Change coverage area" button at the bottom of the page.
All of these phone numbers are active at all times. This setting simply allows you to select the number that is displayed on your activity. You are welcome to share as many numbers as are appropriate to your audience, if you have audience members from several different countries.
We offer two types of phone numbers:
Local numbers: Can only receive text messages from within the country. Audience members who reside in that country will not incur long distance texting charges and will have a shorter number to dial. These numbers are indicated by country on the international text messaging page.
Regional numbers: These can receive text messages from outside the country. Audience members who have cell phone plans outside that country will have to dial internationally, and will incur any applicable texting charges from their cell service provider. You can spot these numbers because they are listed as a region, with multiple countries.
To the best of our knowledge, this is a list of countries by continent that are fully covered:
- Asia, Africa, & the Middle East: China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Israel, Japan, Korea (South), Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, UAE, Qatar
- Australia: Australia and New Zealand
- Central and South America: Belize, Brazil, Chile, Puerto Rico. We are currently seeking local resellers to help us better serve these markets.
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Lithuania, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom all have local numbers. We also have regional numbers for Greece, Italy, Portugal, and Turkey.
- North America: United States, Canada (served by short codes), and Mexico